Off-Duty Cop Ends Food Court Shooting

( – Chaos erupted the afternoon of June 11th at Peachtree Center’s food court in downtown Atlanta. Four people were shot, including the gunman, Jeremy Malone, a 34-year-old convicted felon.

Malone entered the food court with a gun and got into an argument with another man. He shot that man and then turned his weapon on two other people. The incident took place around 2:15 p.m., causing panic among shoppers and workers.

After the initial shooting, Malone continued through the food court, shooting two more individuals. An off-duty Atlanta Zone 1 police officer working a security job in the area encountered Malone and shot him, effectively ending the shooting spree.

Chief Schierbaum of the Atlanta Police Department praised the officer’s quick response. After Malone shot three people, the off-duty officer confronted him and opened fire, stopping him from harming anyone else. The officer’s actions prevented further injuries and brought safety to the crowded food court.

Mayor Andre Dickens emphasized how fortunate it was that the officer was on the scene and able to act swiftly.

The injured included a man, 47, from Grayson, a woman, 69, from East Point, and another woman, 70, from Atlanta. It is unclear if the women had any connection to the incident. All the victims and the gunman were taken to a local hospital, where they were reported to be alert and breathing.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation confirmed that Malone has been arrested at least 11 times and should never have had a gun. He was out on bond at the time of the shooting. After being released from the hospital, he was booked into the Fulton County Jail.

Witnesses described the scene as chaotic. Amina Sam, in town for a conference, recounted seeing victims wheeled out and the shooter being handcuffed. She had been in the area the day before and was shocked by the violence.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation will handle the investigation, as standard procedure when an officer is involved in a shooting. Malone remains in custody, facing serious charges after this latest violent incident.

Copyright 2024,